This Grilled Salmon and Vegetables recipe was inspired by a dish I ate at a sports bar by the National Harbor, in Washington, DC. Yes, you heard me right. One Saturday afternoon, I ate Salmon and vegetables with a fork and knife at a sports bar and it was game day too! Now don’t get me wrong and let me explain how I ended up with this selection in a sports bar setting of all places. Normally, I do what everyone does at sports bars, I cheer on my favorite team as I stare at the large screen while gulping down a cool beer. I enjoy munching on those delicious wings glazed in barbecue sauce and licking my fingers as I ignore the few crunchy celery sticks on the plate. Well this Saturday afternoon was different. While browsing through the menu, I realized they had something different, Grilled Salmon and Vegetables, so I decided I had to try it. First because I wanted to know how they managed to pull it off in a casual dining environment and secondly, despite having lived in the western world for a long time, salmon is still a novelty to me; I did not grow up with it, instead I grew eating fresh water fish such as tilapia and bream which I still love and enjoy to this day. My experience with salmon, it is always a unique affair, I love its inviting pink color and the chunky fillet.
The salmon was very well prepared. It was seasoned with salt, pepper and some herbs and accompanied by a variety of fresh vegetables sautéed in olive oil and what tasted like a white wine vinegar. And the flesh of the Salmon was very moist and flaky. The meal was so delicious I made it a point to recreate it at home and I must say, I was successful! I used the same selection of vegetable but when it came to the seasoning used to coat the salmon, I created a salted herbal spice blend which included black pepper, red pepper and garlic flakes.
Ingredients Preparation and cooking time: 25 minutes Yields: 5 servings
1 lb. salmon fillet
24 oz. petite white potatoes
6 oz. cherry tomatoes
6 oz. green beans
6 oz. black olives (pit removed)
1tbs. white wine vinegar
2 tbs. olive oil
Seasoning; ½ tsp. salt and 1 tsp. black pepper
1 tbs. herbal spice blend (homemade or store bought)
(1) Preheat oven to 450 ºF
(2) De-bone salmon and chop into five even pieces and coat each piece with the herbal spice blend.
(3) Pour olive oil into frying pan and place on medium heat. After 1 min place salmon pieces on pan to brown heating each side for about 30 seconds.
(4) Move salmon pieces when browned onto baking tray and place in preheated oven to grill for 12-15 minutes or until salmon reaches 130 ºF
(5) While salmon is baking, prep vegetables by washing and cutting off edges. Halve potatoes and cherry tomatoes. Place cherry tomatoes aside, they will get cooked last.
(6) Place all vegetables (except cherry tomatoes) in pan that was being used for the salmon and sauté at medium heat while constantly mixing for 5-7 minutes.
(7) Add vinegar, cherry tomatoes and salt and black pepper and sauté for another 2 minutes. Vegetables are ready. Once salmon is ready serve with vegetables for lunch or dinner.